Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Time Well Spent

Not hunting leaves me time to reflect, time to catch up on chores etc.,  and time to hone my hunting skills.
Being sidelined from the hunt  because of weather, no hunting season or what ever gives me lots of opportunities to either get fat and lazy or improve my hunting and shooting skills.. I have chosen the later.

Last weekend I was at the NRA Whittington Center for the MidWest Region Workshop for the Friends of NRA. Saturday was taken up by presentations from  regional representatives aimed at making annual FNRA banquets more effective and raise more money. But Sunday I was lucky to be able to take a class from Don Busse of Martial Arms. This man is a master of his craft and approaches firearms and firearms safety in a very practical manner. He began first by telling us the proper name for everything. For instance the difference between a jam and a malfunction on any firearm is that a malfunction can be instantly fixed , but a jam probably requires taking your firearm apart and ends your shooting for the moment.

I loved getting instruction from this mild mannered, often  funny man. He gave me confidence in my ability to handle the  Ruger Mini 14 I was shooting, but never talked down to me or intimidated me. As he went over the 4 range rules and the procedures for the day I was really looking forward to learning everything he had to offer. I got three hours to absorb everything Don had to say about the art of Practical Rifle shooting.

Practical rifle shooting is different from hunting or target practice. It's purpose is completely defensive, to project you and yours from those who would do you harm. Don thoroughly explained the whys and hows of practical rifle shooting from the proper prone position to the number of shots to be fired. He covered who to shoot first when two gunmen are coming your way and how many times to shoot each aggressor. My knowledge of proper self defense with a gun grew ten fold. I never had any desire for this kind of range experience thinking it was just for the Rambo type men but to tell you the truth I had a whole lot of fun and now have more practical confidence in defensive shooting. It's something I hope I will never have to use but it is something I think every red blooded American  woman needs to know!

Thanks for reading this blog...
See you at the Range!!!!

No comments:

Suzanne Cooper

Suzanne Cooper

My First Deer

My First Deer
Taken with Black powder

South African Greater Kudu

South African Greater Kudu
30th Anniversary Trip to Africa with husband Bryan

On top of the World!

On top of the World!
Me and my favorite hunting buddies

Valentine Present

Valentine Present

Followers