Friday, October 9, 2009

Quick Little Antelope Hunt

I was fortunate enough to get a landowners tag for antelope last weekend and went to eastern Colorado for a quick little antelope hunt. It turns out I got my antelope in the first hour of opening day and it was the classic epitome of a great hunt: perfect crisp fall weather weather, a successful stalk and outdoor time with my best hunting buddy- my husband.

We headed out to our hunting unit in the cool fall morning and we immediately spotted our first antelope (1 buck and three doe) just a half mile away. We stopped and looked at the ram chasing his girls as we plotted my hunt strategy. I decided to try to sneak up on them because there was a water tank between me and them and the antelope were in a low spot which would make it possible for me to get pretty close with out the antelope spotting me. Beside that, the ram was so twitter-patted chasing the does he did even realize we were there! It was a classic stalk – me crawling on my hands and knees through cow pies and stickers! Thank goodness the frost the night before had slowed down all the ground creepy-crawlies! When I got to the water tank I eased up high enough to see that the antelope were still oblivious to me. I looked for a good rest for my rifle, hoped to rest on the water tank – too short. There was a single fence post – too tall. I decided I would have to shoot off hand which proved futile. The antelope were over 100 yards away and I missed which sent them running. But low and behold they just ran in one huge circle and I got a second shot. I had enough time to find a good rest for my rifle and all I had to do was wait for a doe to come in for a drink! Didn’t take long. A doe eased cautiously towards me and the water tank and when she was with in 50 yards I took a shot and had her down. This was a first for me, getting my animal during the first hour on opening day. What a great way to start the Fall hunting season!

No comments:

Suzanne Cooper

Suzanne Cooper

My First Deer

My First Deer
Taken with Black powder

South African Greater Kudu

South African Greater Kudu
30th Anniversary Trip to Africa with husband Bryan

On top of the World!

On top of the World!
Me and my favorite hunting buddies

Valentine Present

Valentine Present

Followers